Sunday 7 September 2008

If Only You Could Bottle This.....

....... In need of fresh air and a breather after a sumptious lunch of locally-reared Rack of Lamb and copious amounts of red wine, we had set off up the moor with the dogs as the sun dipped towards Tideswell Moor. The resident Kestrel called to her mate on the still evening air and the honey scent of heather was intoxicating after the afternoon's rain, mixed with the peaty smell of bracken and gorse.I climbed with my sister to the quarry edge where we perched, cushioned by the springy heather, cocooned in the serenity of the early moorland evening. As the Snipe whirred its vibrating call overhead, we setteled back and drank in the scent and sound of the moor.The dogs, invigorated by the trail of fresh scents, gathered around us, panting and cooling in the damp heather. As the mist in the valley reflected the pink and lilac of the distant hills we sat: comfortable in sisterly silence and drank in the stillness of the hour.We could have stayed there forever, but as the air chilled we made our way back to the warmth of the kitchen and the promise of a fire and sloe gin. As the sun dipped, fuschia, behind heliotrope clouds, she said: 'If ony you could bottle this'I realised , in an instant, that none of the farming enterprises, successful as they were, made use of the best asset we had on the farm: the views, the wildlife, the essence of the moor.Suddenly, rejoining our party, we had a whole new subject to discuss.........
Labels: Kestrels, moorland, Snipe, wildlife

24 comments:

Kitty said...

That's particularly evocative writing, I can smell the heather. And just fancy a sloe gin in front of the fire...

Norma Murray said...

If you bottle it, put me down for a gallon or two.

Faith said...

Mmm me too - love the colours.

Elizabethd said...

Imagine....beautifully hand decorated bottles, pretty labels, you would make a fortune!

Blossomcottage said...

Just beautiful, I can feel the air and see the beauty lots more please.
Blossom

mountainear said...

It's a case of not seeing the wood for the trees perhaps.

Lovely post evoking the spirit of the countryside at its best.

LITTLE BROWN DOG said...

Sounds absolutely gorgeous, and know just what you mean about wanting to bottle it. That's the trouble with the best things in life - you just can't put them in a box (or a bottle), but perhaps that's why they're so special.

(Loved your comment about motherhood - and Eeek! about your birth experience! The first 30 years, you say? Only 20 and a bit more to go then, sigh!)

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

If you can divine a way to bottle it, I shall be your first customer.

Lovely blog!

Frances said...

Grouse, it is grand to have this post from you. As you know, I live in a mostly artificial environment. Reading what you have written really does take my breath away.

Please write again soon. Tomorrow would be splendid.

xo

Cait O'Connor said...

That was just lovely Grouse, it all sounded so inviting.

Sally Townsend said...

I was transported beautifully from the South of France to your wonderful part of England. You capture the essence delightfully and I look forward in anticipation to more tempting slices of your life.

Milla said...

goody, I got the spieling mistak version, despite being v late. Great to see you back Grousey.

Pondside said...

Please send a bottle right away!
This was a beautiful post. I wish I could take that walk with you, smell the smells and hear the sounds that you so eloquently describe. Where can we sign up for a visit?

Maggie Christie said...

What a beautifully poetic description of what is undoubtedly a beautiful place. Sort of like bottling it - but in words.

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

How lovely to have you back blogging. I have popped in every now and then but nothing and then this one, worth waiting for! As PM says, you have bottled it, could practically taste it.

Un Peu Loufoque said...

AHH do I sense a new adventuer int eh air? A new plan hatching? A fledgling scheme...very enticing writing...pass the sloe gin dear.

Withy Brook said...

What a lovely piece - and so glad that I could get straight here! And is that Upl I see lurking?

Exmoorjane said...

Very very beautiful, Grouse.... There is something about a moor....
Like UPL I am agog to know the New Plan.....

bodran... said...

Ohhhh grouse thats all grown up. it's lovely . and i know just what you mean why can't we bottle it and sell it ?
And great to have you back.xx

Lucy Corrander said...

Hello

I'm on a blog hop . . . breaking out from my usual round and dropping in from Dorset.

I think if I would have wandered off into the sunset . . .

Lucy Corrander
PICTURES JUST PICTURES

Pipany said...

Oh that was just wonderful Grouse. I feel I was there and am drooling at the thought of lamb and wine xx

Elizabeth said...

Sounds wonderful!
I write as an ex-pat in NY which isn't nearly so lovely.

CAMILLA said...

Great to see you back Grouse,

Put me down for a bottle or two please, brilliant colours, and I love sloe gin. Really lovely Grouse.

xx

BT said...

Oh gosh, I'm there with you. I lived in Bakewell and Matlock Bath for over 20 years and have sat where you sat! How wonderful it sounded and how emotional I felt reading your lovely description.

BT (which is Bakewell Tart in long hand)!!!